Every Camera/DSLR owner who opts for Photography as a career choice has to make this choice one day or the other.
Here I share my personal experience as being a Professional Candid Wedding Photographer for more than 2 years now, this article applies to all the vertical of Photography such as ‘Wildlife or Fashion Photography’ or any other.
• You have to start experimenting- You cannot getting amazing pictures by applying old set of rules in Photography and poses. Get out of your comfort zone and explore different ideas and defy the traditions.
• Find Your Niche- Not everyone can do everything, find your sector in Photography, find what makes you feel happy and will it be able to put food on your plate.
• Learn to say no- This is one of the major problems I personally faced, people expect you to shoot them for free! Answer is NO, that’s what makes you a professional.
• Start Planning-Planning is a very important part of photography, a good photographer is always ready for any moment in live shoot. If things can be pre planned it is highly recommend to observe and think what can be done and how it can be done. Not every client wants you to experiment on him/her.
• Love your work- Love your work stop listening to the crowd Period, Specially in India where no profession is respected except Civil Services, Govt. Professionals, Business Tycoons and Ministers of course. Let those things not get into your nerve. Believe me no other profession is respected here at least by old aged persons and bureaucrats. You may be the CEO/Chairman of your company but still a Job at MNC is considered the best.
• Invest money on gears and time on skills- Yes money has to be invested on buy-in high end gears, because after a level you reach a high quality gear is required to cross the amateur hurdle and to get the professional look and feel to your work. Invest time on learning new skills and practice a lot. YouTube is the teacher for getting new ideas and experimenting.
• Keep your rates competitive- Your work defines you, but do not demand very high or too low, ultimately it’s the money that food and amenities which satisfy our daily appetite
• Market your business well- Market your photos well, have a copy right and avoid Facebook promotions frequently. Invest more on building a quality and lite website. Try to be updated on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr etc. This helps in keeping brand awareness
• Last & Most Important- Create your own unique style of photography aka your very own signature style, market yourself uniquely and do not try to defame other photographers. And